Plot-Our 4th installment of The Collective is about emotions. In case you have not seen reviews for the first three, the concept of the Collective is 10 film makers to make a short that goes from 9 minutes to 10 minutes and focusing all on one topic.
Review-Ten shorts, ten emotions. Letâ€™s hit this. The emotions are not in order; there was certain emotions that I had to watch first.
1.Grief-This is the one called Frankie from Jason Hoover and the Jabb crew, and the first thing you notice is that you are thrown into a situation of seeing a couple tied up by two people who have bad intentions. As the short goes on, we find out there is a little more to the story and a connection between the husband and the two guys tormenting him and his wife. Can I just say, Jason Hoover fails to disappoint. This was tense, very violent and kept your attention. What a huge fuck you to open this Collective, I loved it. I think Hoover takes a lot of flak for things like his input in The Meat Eater, and maybe his sensitive stories in these series. Well, that went out the window. Jason shows he can deliver horror and violence with the best in indie-ville.
9 out of 10
2. Regret-This short was called Contraction from 3 o clock productions. This was an odd tale about a doctor who created a Wolfman specimen thru DNA modification. The story follows Ruby as she tells what happens with her creation this wolf man, and how it got out of hand. For what this offered, it was good. I thought this concept for the Collective was brave and a different short then what we are used to with them which is always welcome. This felt like an excerpt out of a play. The characters and story was so well told, and so much attention to detail to create the right mood and feel for this film. A lot of thought was put into this short and I had fun with it.
9 out of 10
3 and 4.Envy and Rage-Over Analyzed and Cinephreak Pictures give us a short they call (get this) Bloody Hooker Bang Bang. Two females who are roomies, one loses her job at the bookstore and the other is an escort. Well, we will learn that the unemployed wants to be an escort, but her friend says she is not capable of being one. So, while the roommate goes on a trick, the girl decides to take on a client to show she can be an escort. Well she picks the wrong client, because these guys are out to rape and murder her. Well, in comes her friend to save her and they kill the guys. Now, they have the wrath of the guy’s mother who sends her other son and his friends out to settle the score. These 20 minutes were too fucking short. Holy shit, is that Cindy Maples cussing up a storm getting all evil?
Cindy Maples for all of us indie geeks, always love to see Cindy do something on screen because we know the magic she brings to her roles. Jakob Bilinski, before this short never heard the name in my life. Now, I have to see if this guy has any other films or is there going to be a full length to this film. The dialogue alone is just so funny, and the action was cheesy but so fun. If you have no other selling point to buy this dvd, this is all you need. Bloody Hooker Bang Bang is 2012â€™s answer to Roid Rage. There is not one person alive that I know is a fan of this genre and would not go ape shit over Bloody Hooker. This is our love letter. What a fucking blast.
10 out of 10
5. Trust-This short was put out by the Dustin Mills Productions. They called it Epidemic. The news reports of epidemic that is happening, spreading and people are contaminated. Well one hapless guy decides to eat a pizza he bought before he knew the news, and guess what now he is contaminated. This short would make all you gore hounds nut your trousers many times. Another different approach to the Collective, an all-out gore fest that sees this guy pop bumps on his face, and anything that can gross you out they will do. All I will say, if this film was a full length I would say see it immediately. This short and especially the ending this is so fucking cold blooded and the gore was so well done. Another must see short on this collection. Fuck the CDC..just trust me on this.
10 out of 10
6. Fear-Freakwolf Productions with star Kitsie Duncan give you a ditty they call Myctophobia. A woman, who is scared of the dark, is forced to stay in a house alone while her husband is out of town. I know in the past I been hard on Kitsie but each film she keeps getting better and this is her best to date. These 9 minutes is basically the Kitsie show and if she fails, the short will as well. Of course, when she is left home alone someone appears, the power goes out and she is running for her life around the house. This was tense and really gave you some real fun moments. The negative and it is small, was the reveal in the end. I almost wish they would not go for the obvious. But, Kitsie shined in this really bright.
7.5 out of 10
7. Lust-Liberty or Death productions called Till Death do us part. Now, no one on this planet will believe I waited till 7th to watch Lust. Let us assume that I did. I am supposed to be professional, but holy fuck is Jade Coley a star. I could watch this girl read the menu for Wendyâ€™s and give her an Oscar. You watch this ten minutes and what she is willing to do to sell her predicament and the lengths she goes thru to have you believe. I forgot to tell you what the situation was. She plays Melissa Toll who tells the story of the wedding night tragedy when this new married couple who go to their new house instead of a honeymoon for some married bliss fun, well the married couple across the street are fighting and a gun comes into play and the bullet misses the intended target and kills the bride across the street. And then the groom himself kills himself when he starts to look for his wife who he thinks was lost. Keep in mind, this is all explained to us and it seems confusing but in the ending seconds it clicks. This is basically a woman who goes to the house to investigate and see if the ghosts do exist. Jade Coley sells this performance and puts an odd twist on what we are used to with these kinds of films. Another home run and for the record it was going to be a ten even if she was nude so much. The Collective broke all the rules on this dvd, now nudity as well.
10 out of 10
8.Denial-Spiral Filmworks and Jason Hoover give us their take on the horror story. Narrated by Dennis Lamka this is a story told by camera shots of a 91 year old woman named Granny Louise Kemper. She was this innocent church going woman who was also responsible for a lot of deaths in her community. This focuses on what happened to her and her trial and is very well told, and makes it point in the end. You will not forget this story. The piano in the background was a nice touch to enhance the mood of the words spoken. This is another one of those that some people will dig, and some will want to see something happening or the acts themselves. Well, you will be letdown so fucking watch Lust and see Jade Coley instead if you do not have the patience for this. All jokes aside, if you like Cropsey, this short will be up your alley.
8.5 out of 10
9.Hate-Red Panic Button Films give us Luke 1:71. Holy fuck, I thought Larry Clark died? If you are a fan of films like Bully, Kids, and the Korine early stuff this ten minutes is right with it. Luke is an out of control hateful menace to society that has had a rough life and can give a fuck about anyone in his life. I know people are going to accuse him of being a skinhead or some kind of Nazi, with the scalping he does in the opening minutes. I think he was just a very violent threat to himself. When he has a gun and points it at his little brother, it is such a scary sign of the times especially with the acts in Colorado. While the short really was not too much in terms of story and dialogue, it told a story just from the imagery. This short is every parentâ€™s nightmare. I would not want to see this character in a longer film, because if he had more time no telling what he would fucking do to get our attention. This was very alarming as a short. Very much going to have a lot of discussions on both sides of the coin on this character and his actions. After all, this is what film is about?
8 out of 10
10. Schadenfreude-Winged Dolphin Productions gives us Flash of Wire. The short examines the German emotional state that is called Schadenfreude, or as we in America will call it enjoying the suffering of others. A man goes to a doctor about a reoccurring dream he has that he later finds out is not a dream, but a past life. The doctor tells him about his evil past and his punishment. Like the emotional state, is once really enough for revenge. This short was so fucking odd that I loved it. This seemed like a human game of chess to guess what each scene would mean next, and what are we watching right now and how will this all end. Shot in effective black and white and almost feeling like a 50â€™s b movie this short was a really well shot little ditty that will have you talking after. Really interesting emotional state, and trust me this short will put you in a emotional state after as well.
8.5 out of 10
We are the end of this review, and as you can see all the shorts on this collective were very well done and very fun. If you have not seen The Collective yet, you are truly missing out on some indie genius gold. These are the future of our industry today, and trust me, unlike the latest blockbuster you pay 50.00 to go see in a crowded theater with people talking, you can own these for little to nothing and invite your friends over and have a blast. These films series get better and better by the volume. The Collective as a whole is a must. Bloody Hooker Bang Bang-the love story holy fucking shit someone greenlight this guy.
10 out of 10