Here is a guest blog post from a friend of ours – Mike from the Body Count Blog (http://bodycountblog.blogspot.com/). He is also part of the Body Count Podcast (http://bodycountpodcast.podomatic.com/). In short, Mike pretty much kicks ass. Here is his blog post. I will add my two cents in at the end.
1982 was a great year for horror movies. I was very young and only saw one of these in the theater (Friday the 13th III in 3D!), but over the next few years I would discover most of the films on this list along my way to becoming a huge horror fan. I think it’s amazing that so many quality movies came out in one year.
Here is my list of the Top 10 horror movies released in 1982:
10. The Forest – Some of the worst dialogue you will ever hear in a movie, which makes it hilarious.
9. Swamp Thing – We had these huge laserdiscs and this was one of the movies we owned. We watched it so much, it eventually started skipping pretty badly. There goes the neighborhood!
8. The Dorm That Dripped Blood – I discovered this one later and it’s pretty fun. Being a former residence life employee, I can relate to being on an empty campus, cleaning up in the dorms. Great concept for isolation.
7. Pieces – The other movie on this list that I only just found within the past few years somehow. The kills and the music both stand out and the dialogue is also great!
6. Slumber Party Massacre – Driller Killer! Great idea for a slasher, and while it was obviously cashing in on the trend of the time, this movie itself clearly inspired many others after it.
5. Don’t Go To Sleep – A TV movie that I remember watching at night by myself. It was about a ghost killing off members of her family. I think! I do know that I saw this movie only once, 29 years ago, and I can still clearly remember most of the kills.
4. The Thing – While I’m much more of a slasher fan, obviously, there is no denying that this is basically a perfect movie.
3. Poltergeist – So scary! This one definitely made me afraid of being alone anywhere in my house. It even made watching TV scary.
2. Creepshow – This was probably my favorite anthology movie until Trick ‘r Treat came out.
1. Friday the 13th Part III – 3-D, the hockey mask, and awesome kills. Easy winner!
Honorable Mention: Basket Case and Madman
I have not seen: Tenebre and Visiting Hours
Wow, what a great year in horror when you look at these titles. I have seen some of these movies dozens of times, so that pretty much sums up how I feel about some of them. Just look at those top 4 movies on the list – The Thing, Poltergeist, Creepshow and Friday the 13th Part III. Those are some good ones. I also enjoyed the hell out of Slumber Party Massacre.
Looking up films that were released in 1982, I would like to add Madman, Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Alone in the Dark and (perhaps) Basket Case. After having recently rewatched Basket Case, that did not hold up so well. I am sure that a lot of people would like to add Videodrome, but I do not feel that held up too well either.
Thanks again for this post. I know that it will make me do some research to see if there were any years that topped 1982.